In this blog, we highlight a lesson learned when we used a Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement online data source connector, called Instance Web API, for Power BI reports.
Back in April, we blogged about Microsoft’s licensing changes for storage and additional instances. The changes, which are now fully in effect, included a few huge advantages to licensees – one of which we’ll be blogging about today.
Is your organization under Microsoft’s new storage model? Many of our customers are under the new model but either didn’t realize the new model included unlimited free sandbox instances or were confused about how to spin one up. Below, we walk you through the necessary steps to create a free sandbox. And by the way, if you’re not sure if your organization is running under the new storage model, just try the steps below – if you’re able to create a free sandbox, you’ll know it is!
1. Go to your Dynamics 365 Administration center and click Try the new Admin center.
2. Click +New under Environments.
3. Name your org, select Production in the Type field, and set Create a database for this environment to Yes. Finally, click
4. Configure your database settings as desired and add a security role (this can be done later). Click
5. You will see your new org show up in a few minutes.
6. Once it’s ready, select it and click
7. Add the URL and in the Type field, select Sandbox. Click
8. After a few minutes, you’ll see it appear in both of your admin centers, as shown below:
That’s it! And as long as you have available capacity (at least 1 GB must be free to spin up a new instance), you can do this as many times as you like.